The Matariki Festival is a celebration of friendship, collaboration, arts and harvest. It is the Maori New Year and is a time for us to celebrate the greatness and abundance of culture and talent in New Zealand.
This festival will take place on Esk Street and run from 10am-4pm with lots of performances throughout the day from kapa haka groups, local singers, to workshops on carving, weaving, poi making, musical instruments and a dark skies exhibition. There is an amazing outdoor market as well as a Stardome so you can experience the stars and the story of Matariki first hand.
We will also have food trucks, face painting and more. All of these activities are free and open to the public.
Esk Street Pocket Park Line Up
- 10:30 am Holly Muirhead
- 11:30 am Brass Band
- Noon: Tongan Drummers
- 12:30 pm Kapa Haka
- 1pm Gabriel Lal
- 2pm Amber
- 3pm Lady Friday
Festival events that run from 10am to 4pm
- Matariki Market 10am-4pm
- Food trucks
- Shopping at local retailers
- Dark Skies Photo Competition Exhibit 62 Esk St (former ASB building)
- Weaving workshops and making 11am to 2pm and 3pm to 4pm
- Carving demonstrations by Oti Murry and Tahu Parkinson throughout the day
- Poi Making Workshops 10:30am to 12:30pm and 3pm to 4pm
- Stardome 11am to 4pm
- Carving demonstrations and meet Steve Solomon
- Facepainting 11am to 3pm
- Hula hooping fun plus other activities throughout the day