Southland boasts one of the most successful international education programmes in the country, and is now well positioned for the expansion and evolution of the industry into the future. Over the past decade, through
the contribution of Southern Institute of Technology, seven schools united under the banner of Education Southland, and the efforts of a number of individual schools, the region has created a successful international education story.
In 2015, enrolments totalled 1,470 students, an increase of 18% on the previous year, and a healthy 1.2% of enrolments nationwide. Southland’s growth was led by the Southern Institute of Technology accounting for 82% of the enrolments.
Eight great reasons to study in Southland
- World class education
- Wide variety of education options
- Excellent support network for students
- Safe and welcoming community
- Great range of real New Zealand experiences available
- Affordable fees and living costs
- English is an official language of New Zealand
- High quality and secure homestay environments.
"Student life in Invercargill is great. I like the fact it is easy to get around and that I can walk to school. I have met so many people from many different countries and everyone is so friendly"
- Napasorn Khanom, international student from Thailand
Learn more about school education in New Zealand for international students and parents through the following documents:
- Learn more about New Zealand Education System
- National Certificate of Educational Achievement - The National Qualification
- Visa Applications and Requirements
- New Zealand Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students
- Southland Education Characteristics
- School Life in New Zealand