The Winton Heritage Trail is a 14-stop journey through the history of the town, from the old post office, to the homes of prominent residents in the town's history.
With the area’s fine agricultural and pastoral potential recognised by the earliest of settlers, Winton is probably the oldest inland town in Southland. It was established in 1861, and was named after Thomas Winton, a boundary rider. While searching for stray stock, he had occasion to camp by the banks of the small stream, and gave his name to the creek and the surrounding bush. From them the town took its name.
Winton first came to prominence in the days of the gold rushes, as it was one of the stops en route to the goldfields. In 1862 a police barracks was erected and a year later the Great North Road was cut, elevating Winton to more than just "a hole in the bush". The first surveys were completed in 1863 by Clement Johnstone. He named the streets after nobility who took part in a medieval jousting tournament revival he attended as a boy at the Earl of Eglinton’s Estate in Scotland in 1839.
The flat, easy 5km trail through the town can be driven in 15 minutes or walked in an hour or two, but allow extra time to fully appreciate the 14 sites including at least 20 minutes for a stroll through the Ivy Russell Reserve.
Download a pdf version of the Winton Heritage Trail here
- Culture & Heritage
- Free Things to Do
- Outdoor Activities
- Rural Heritage & Education
- Historic Building
- Heritage Trail
- Less than half day
- Family Friendly
- Scenic Attraction
- Walking & Tramping