One of the many beautiful historic buildings in Invercargill is the ex-Dee Street Hospital, the oldest public hospital building in New Zealand, situated at the northern end of Dee Street.
The three extant buildings are the South Wing and Central Block and the Porter's Lodge. The first building of the hospital was the North Wing built was completed and opened in 1863, that wing no longer exists.
Once the Invercargill Kew Hospital was completed the Dee Street Hospital remained open primarily as a maternity hospital. Over the years its name changed to Queen Victoria Hospital in 1942, and Dee Street Maternity Hospital in the late 1960s. The maternity services were transferred to Kew and the hospital closed. It now remains a historical landmark in the Invercargill CBD.
- Culture & Heritage
- Free Things to Do
- Historic Building