The Presbyterian church on Tay Street was built from local bricks between 1912 and 1915, replacing an earlier building that dated from 1863. Designed by local architect John Mair, it is the only Presbyterian church in the country in the Italo-Byzantine style – seen in northern Italian churches of the sixth to eighth centuries. The 32-metre bell tower is an Invercargill landmark.
The church features an unusual square tower, arched openings and elaborate polychrome brick friezes and motifs. The building has an Historic Places Trust Category 1 rating. Visitors are welcome to visit this beautiful piece of architecture.
- Culture & Heritage
- Historic Building