Though the system of provincial government lasted nearly a quarter of a century, only the buildings used by the Canterbury and Southland Provincial Governments survive. Southland was constituted a province, with its own council, from 1861 to 1870. Built in 1864 for a Masonic lodge, this building was bought by the council for its meetings in 1866. It was later used by the Invercargill borough and city council, and was acquired by the Historic Places Trust in 1979. The building has had a variety of public uses and is now a shop.
The beautiful exterior can be viewed at any time.
- Culture & Heritage
- Free Things to Do
- Historic Building