The nucleus of the collection held by Switzers Waikaia Museum was brought together for Waikaia’s 125th Centennial Jubilee. This nucleus has grown to around 2200 generalised social history objects including material relative to high country farming and the area’s gold mining past and associated Chinese settlement.
The museum also holds 2800 bottles - not including the 20,000 bottles that have been used in the construction of a bottle house attached to the museum - and original documents and photographs relative to the area.
Waikaia owes much of its history to gold which was discovered here in 1862. At the peak of the rush Switzers (the town of Waikaia's original name) had a population of around 2,000 including a large number of Chinese miners. Here at the museum we proudly display this heritage.
Our museum is open every Saturday and Sunday afternoon from Labour Weekend through to Easter, and it can also be opened on request throughout the year.
- Culture & Heritage
- Indoor Activities
- Rural Heritage & Education
- Historic Building
- Heritage Trail
- Less than half day
- Family Friendly