Ingredients (serves six):
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 rashers chopped bacon with the rind removed
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 750g peeled and cubed swede
- 3 tablespoons raw rice
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup cream
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; add the bacon and onion and saute for four to five minutes. Add the swede and continue to saute for another five minutes. Then add the rice, salt, curry powder, nutmeg, sugar and water and bring to a boil.
- Cover the saucepan ad simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until the swede is tender.
- Puree the soup in a food blender or processor until smooth. Return the saucepan and reheat until simmering. Add the cream and allow to heat through, but DO NOT BOIL.
- Garnish with parsley
- Serve with a chilled dry, still white wine, ideally fume blanc, chablis or chardonnay.