Ingredients (serves four - six):
- 1 swede (around 750g), peeled and cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus extra to season
- 50g butter
- freshly ground black pepper
- Put the swede in a large, lidded saucepan. Fill with enough cold water to almost cover the chunks. Add the butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt, cover and place over a high heat.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 12–15 minutes, or until the swede is just tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid, increase the heat and boil hard for a further 5 minutes, or until the swede is soft and the liquid has reduced to around 5 tablespoons.
- Remove the pan from the heat and mash until smooth. Return to a low heat, season with more salt and pepper and cook for a further minute. Serve.
Original recipe by BBC Food