Natural Attraction

McGregor Park

Corner of Johnston Road & Ettrick Street, Nightcaps

The McGregor Family of Mount Linton donated this 80 hectare park in Nightcaps in the 1950s.

The park was the site of the Nightcaps Coal Company’s first mine in 1880. Not surprisingly, the area’s first swimming pool, built on site in the 1930s by damming the Wairio stream, had a bed of coal! Since being donated it has catered for a wide range of local recreational and social pursuits.

Today it has a flat grassed area where campervans can stay, a picnic area and a playground. It also has a lovely native bush walk beside the Wairio stream. You will hear many native birds in song in this peaceful conservation area, where an award-winning community planting programme of native trees and plants is gradually being established.

Content
Venture Southland
Last modified
Thu 16 Aug 2018
  • Accommodation
  • Holiday Parks & Camping
  • Activities
  • Attraction
  • Free Things to Do
    Features
  • Scenic Attraction
 

McGregor Park

Mcgregor Park

McGregor Park

Corner of Johnston Road & Ettrick Street
Nightcaps