POLICE, AMBULANCE & FIRE SERVICE
Emergency services play a crucial role in responding to incidents that are outside of the capabilities of event staff and contractors.
Police, Ambulance, and Fire Service personnel are trained professionals, often with years of experience in dealing with chaotic and dangerous situations. They have the ability to:
- Respond quickly and effectively to emergencies
- Provide valuable and expert perspectives and advice on emergency management in the event planning process.
Event Planning Considerations
- Emergency services involvement is determined by the scale of the event, the activities involved, and the potential associated risks, as not all events require these services.
- If your event warrants it, notify emergency services well in advance. Early engagement allows you to establish a working relationship and ensure that all parties are on the same page regarding event logistics and safety measures.
thatthere is a clear path for emergency service access to all areas of your event site. Mark these accessways clearly on your event site map.
- Where possible and appropriate, consult with emergency services on the specifics of your health and safety plan, emergency response plan and event security plan as well as liquor licensing, fire permits and traffic management considerations
if applicable. They may highlight any missing details or suggest changes where necessary.
- Refer to Emergency Response Planning for more information.
Event Delivery Considerations
- If you have emergency services on site at your event, establish a clear line of communication such as a dedicated radio channel that will be appropriately monitored.
- Clearly outline with security staff which types of incidents require Police notification or involvement.
- Similarly with First Aid responders, outline through your Flow of Care document which types of injuries or incidents require referral and escalation to Ambulance or Paramedic personnel.
- Ensure that all event staff and contractors are aware of emergency response procedures, especially regarding Fire Service access in the case of a fire.
Police services may be required for the following types of events:
- Large public gatherings
- Protests and demonstrations
- VIP or high-profile events
- Major public celebrations
- Sports events
- Large parades and processions
- Controversial gatherings
The purpose of Police involvement at these types of events can include:
- Crowd control
- Traffic control and alcohol breath testing
- Alcohol license and intoxication level monitoring
- Public safety patrolling
- Monitoring for potential disturbances or security breaches
- Enhanced security
- Special security concerns – for example: a history of disruption or violence at previous events.
- Pre-event security consultation and advice on the development of a security plan
- Liquor licensing applications
Ambulance or Paramedic services may be required for the following types of events:
- Sports events
- Music festivals and concerts
- Outdoor adventure and extreme sports events
- Motorsport events
- Cultural and religious gatherings
- Community and charity run/walk events
- School and youth events
- Carnivals and parades
- Corporate and business events/conferences
- Large public gatherings and protests
The purpose of Ambulance or Paramedic involvement at these types of events can include:
- Immediate response to serious injuries or health related incidents
- The ability to escalate incidents through Flow of Care processes directly on-site
- Immediate communication and collaboration with trained professionals to identify and enact preventative measures
- Peace of mind for event organisers that their Primary Duty of Care for attendees is being undertaken to the extent that is possible.
The Fire Service may be required for the following types of events:
- Large outdoor festivals and concerts
- Indoor concerts and entertainment venues
- Food and beverage festivals
- Special effects and pyrotechnic displays
- Cultural and religious events
- Large sports events
- Exhibitions and trade shows
- Carnivals and parades
- Large gatherings in tents or marquees
The purpose of Fire Service involvement at these types of events can include:
- Immediate response to any fire or vehicular incidents
- Emergency response action and direction, including planning around ingress and egress
- Preventative planning advice and consultation around fire safety regulation compliance
- Public fire safety awareness campaigns
- New Zealand Police | Nga Pirihimana O Aotearoa | www.police.govt.nz/
- Fire and Emergency New Zealand | www.fireandemergency.nz/
- Hato Hone | St John Ambulance Service | www.stjohn.org.nz/
Have you considered?
- Does your event require emergency services on site during event time?
- What aspects of your event planning could benefit from the advice of emergency service personnel?
- Do you have a working relationship with emergency service providers?
- Does your site map include clear markings for emergency service accessways and have you distributed this to the relevant emergency service providers?