Last updated: October 2022
We have adopted data protection policies with respect to your privacy and security. We have developed this Privacy Statement to inform you about our practices. Please direct questions regarding this Privacy Statement to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This website collects and processes information about users in three ways:
- Traffic data
- Information provided by you
Collection of data
We may collect, use, store and transfer information about you in several different ways and this information may be classified in different categories. The following types of personally identifiable and non-personally identifiable data may be collected from you:
Identity data: includes first name, maiden name, last name, username or similar identifier, marital status, title, date of birth and gender.
- Contact data: includes company address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Technical data: includes internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this website.
- Enquiry data: includes data you have provided us with when you contact us for assistance (by any means of communication including written communications or via our website, telephone, email or our social media channels) or when you visit us at a public event, such as a tradeshow or exhibition, we may record all communications and keep information about the particular communication, including your name, the products you are interested in, the reason why you contacted us, and the advice we gave you so we can ensure we provide the best service.
- Profile Data: includes your username, your interests, preferences and feedback. We may also receive content that you choose to upload or post, such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, profile pictures, gender, date of birth, relationship status, interests and hobbies, educational details and employment details, product reviews, comments, photos and forum posts, or details of your interests and preferences that you choose to tell us about when, for example, selecting the services that you wish to receive.
- Usage Data: includes information about how you use our website, products and services, as well as the frequency and pattern of your service use.
- Marketing and Communications Data: includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
Purpose of data collection
We may use the personal information you provide to us or we collect for the following range of purposes including:
To make it easy for you to find activities, events and other information about Southland as a destination to visit or live.
- Use of e-mail and postal address to send out newsletters and other physical materials via our website and other channels.
- To provide you with information about meetings and events.
- For statistics, aggregation and management of sites and services. Information is obtained in order to allow this website to monitor site use, including how users come to the site, as well as tracking general usage patterns of users on our website. We use this information to manage and enhance the site.
We will only use your personal data to the extent permitted by law:
- To register you as a new member/partner/user (Identity and Contact data)
- To provide you with a product or service you have requested and to fulfil our obligations under any other agreement we may have with you (Identity, Contact, Marketing & Communications data)
- To manage our relationship with you which will include; email communications about relevant news in the region, notifying you about changes to our policy, terms and conditions. (Identity, Contact, Marketing & Communications data)
- To administer and protect our business and this website including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting of data. (Identity, Contact, Technical data)
- To deliver relevant website content and advertisements to you and measure or understand the effectiveness of the advertising we serve to you (Identity, Contact, Profile, Usage, Marketing & Communications, Technical data)
- To use data analytics to improve and enhance our existing products, services and applications and develop new offerings, recommendations, advertisements and other communications and learn more about customers’ travel preferences in general (Technical, Usage data)
- To create and manage customer database(s). As part of our ongoing customer relationship management activities, we may consolidate several databases into one or otherwise link separate databases to more effectively manage your accounts. Information may be linked via a unique identifier, such as a cookie or account number. Alternatively, we may decide to combine two or more databases into a single database of customer information. We may do this for your and/or our convenience, to allow us to provide more seamless customer and member support whenever you contact us and to provide you with better, personalised services, content and marketing. (Identity, Contact, Technical, Enquiry, Usage, Marketing & Communications data)
We will only use your personal data for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. We may process your personal data without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
Personally identifiable vs Non-personally identifiable information
This website processes both personally identifiable information and non-personally identifiable information.
Personally identifiable information is information that identifies you as an individual such as your name, address or date of birth.
Non-personally identifiable information is information and any other details that do not reveal your personal identity such as a user’s server address, operating system, domain name, the date and time you visit the website, pages accessed, documents downloaded or type of browser used.
We collect and process the following personally identifiable information:
- You can subscribe to media, trade and conference newsletters so that you receive emails from us on current news. For us to send email to the appropriate subscriber, you must first opt-in by registering your first and last names and email address.
- On this website you can request conference and incentive proposal information by providing your name, business, email and postal address. Personal information we receive for proposal requests will not be used for any purpose other than to effectuate the request, unless you have explicitly indicated that you want to receive e-mail communications from us. It is entirely voluntary for those visiting the website to provide personal information in connection with services to receive newsletters and request information material.
- When you visit southlandnz.com your IP address is recorded. We do not link this information directly to you as a user. The information is used to manage and maintain our sites. Examples of information that this data provides: How many people visit different sites, how long the visit lasts, what websites users are coming from and which browser is used. This enables us to develop better and more user-friendly services. See more about automated collection below.
We may also receive personal data about you from various third parties and public sources as set out below:
Identity and Contact Data from social media if you: (i) interact with any of our social network pages or applications; or (ii) you use one of our products or services that allow interaction with social networks, we may receive information relating to your social network accounts. For instance:
- Logging in: If you log-in to our website using your social network account, we may receive basic details from your social network profile. The basic details we receive may depend on your social network account privacy settings; however, they might include your social network ID, name, profile picture, gender and location.
- Interactions: If you click on a ‘like’, ‘+1’ or ‘tweet’ or similar button in one of our websites or services, we may record the fact that you have done so. In addition, you can post our shared content to your social network profile or feed. We may receive information about further interactions with this posted content (for example, if your profile contacts click on a link in the posted content), which we may associate with the details that we store about you.
We also collect, use and share aggregated data such as statistical or demographic data for any purpose. Aggregated data may be derived from your personal data but is not considered personal data in law as this data does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity. For example, we may aggregate your Usage Data to calculate the percentage of users accessing a specific website feature. However, if we combine or connect aggregated data with your personal data so that it can directly or indirectly identify you, we treat the combined data as personal data which will be used in accordance with this Policy.
You may voluntarily give us your identity and contact data by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by post, phone, email or otherwise. Great South must obtain consent from you for the particular purpose your personal information will be processed.
You will be asked to provide your personal information when registering for e-newsletters or completing a request for proposal form (including, without limitation, your name, email address, phone number and postal address). By registering your personal information, you consent to Great South using that information for legitimate purposes, such as sending you e-newsletters and marketing. If you do not provide your personal information, we may not be able to provide you with access to our services.
Great South will ask for your consent to process this information in a way that will best meet your needs, such as emailing you information about conferences, trade or media needs. If you do not wish to receive emails from Great South, you may ‘opt out’ of email communications by unsubscribing.
Great South processes data about visitors to southlandnz.com. We use common Internet technologies, (such as usage monitoring software (Google Analytics), cookies, and sessions) to collect and store certain information about your visit including, without limitation, your search queries, IP address, browser type, domain names, access times and referring website addresses. We also collect device specific information, such as whether you were accessing this Website using a mobile device, device model, network and IP address. This information is captured by Google Analytics and other trusted third party service providers. Please also see the “Cookies" page for further information. We use this information for the operation of the Website and associated services, to maintain quality of those services, and to provide general statistics regarding use of the Website.
The processing of non-personally identifiable information (such as user’s server address, operating system, domain name, the date and time you visit the website, pages accessed, type of browser used) will be for marketing purposes only. Great South does not need the individual’s consent to use non-personal information for direct marketing purposes.
Use and disclosure
We will not use or disclose your personal information except in accordance with the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993. We may use your personal information to:
verify your identity and to assist you if you forget your username or password for any of the services we provide to you via the Internet;
- communicate with you;
- analyse usage of this website;
- provide you with further information, news, and promotional material; and
- improve the content of this website and to customise this website to your preferences.
We will only use or disclose personal information that you have provided to us or which we have obtained about you for the above-mentioned purposes;
- if you have authorised us to do so;
- if we have given you notification of the intended use or disclosure and you have not objected to that use or disclosure;
- if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to assist a law enforcement agency or an agency responsible for national security in the performance of their functions;
- if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce any legal rights we may have, or is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of us, our customers, or others; or
- if we are authorised, required or permitted by law to disclose the information.
Data processors and transfer of data to other countries
Great South has signed an agreement with the following data handlers:
- SemRush (https://www.semrush.com/)
- Campaign Monitor (https://www.campaignmonitor.com/)
- SimpleView (https://www.simpleviewinc.com/)
This site is currently located on a server in New Zealand, but our data processors reserve the right to transmit information to servers or subcontractors in other countries.
Storage and security
Personal information collected on this website is collected and held by DQ. We will take reasonable efforts to protect the personal information that is held by us from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction.
When we treat "non-personally identifiable information" combined with "personally identifiable information" (for example, your name combined with geographical location) the collected information is treated as personally identifiable information.
If we share your personal information with a third party, we will ensure that there are arrangements and agreements in place to ensure the safety of the information and prevent the third party from using the personal information for purposes other than what was agreed.
We shall use all reasonable precautions to ensure that our employees, data processors and third parties who have access to information about you have adequate information to ensure that they treat such information in accordance with this statement and our obligations under privacy legislation.
Personal data is only retained for as long as is necessary proportionate to the purpose it was collected. Personal data must be kept accurate and, when necessary, kept up to date. Great South takes every reasonable step to ensure that personal data that is inaccurate, having regard to the purposes for which it is processed, is erased or rectified without delay.
Member, trade, convention bureau and media contact data is retained unless the individual requests for it to be deleted or the individual has not interacted with Great South for 5-10 years. Great South will seek updated information or delete latent customers’ information as email, address and services required will no longer be up to date. Great South retains web data for a maximum of 12 months for marketing purposes.
This website may contain hyperlinks to third-party websites. We are not responsible for the content of such websites or for the manner in which those websites collect, hold, use, and distribute any personal information you provide. When visiting a third-party website from hyperlinks displayed on this website, we encourage you to review the privacy statements of those websites so that you can understand how the personal information you provide will be collected, used, and shared.
Links to social networking services
We do use social networking services such as Twitter, Facebook and YouTube to communicate with the public about our services. When you communicate with us using these services, the social networking service may collect your personal information for its own purposes.
These services may track your use of our website on those pages where their links are displayed. If you are logged in to those services (including any Google service) while using our site, their tracking will be associated with your profile with them. See the “Cookies" page for further information.
These services have their own privacy policies, which are independent of ours, and we encourage you to review these.
Right to access and correct
You have the right to know how your personal information is processed by an organisation.
If southlandnz.com handles personal information about you, you are entitled to access your own information. If personal information is inaccurate, incomplete or inaccessible, you can ask Great South to correct the information. If you’d like to ask for a copy of your information or to have it corrected, please contact us at email@example.com. You may at any time ask us to update or remove your contact details from our database.
We do not process and store information about you for longer than necessary for the intended purpose or as required under existing agreements and not beyond legal limits. We delete personal information when a user gives notice that he/she no longer wishes to use the service. For example, your email address used to send out newsletters is deleted when you unsubscribe. The same is done when we are notified of inactive email addresses.
If you believe your privacy has been breached, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can put this right. You can call the Privacy Commissioner's privacy hotline: 0800 803 909.