Invercargill’s water tower has been described as an architectural treasure and a prime example of Victorian architecture. Invercargill water tower demonstrates the ability to provide a utilitarian structure which is aesthetically pleasing. Built originally as the primary means of pressurize water supply system for the city, the tower now performs a ‘back up’ role, for when there are water supply disruptions from the main supply in the city.
Over the years some deterioration in the tower’s appearance has occurred, particularly the removal of the cupola in 1934 and more recently the eroding of brick and plaster work. To preserve the structure against further deterioration and to commemorate its centenary, work was done to restore the structure to its former glory. This interior is not currently open to the public, however it is a must see to admire this beautiful building from the outside!
- Culture & Heritage
- Historic Building